Monday, May 28, 2007

134

May 27, 2007



I saw a motorhome gutted by a fire on the side of the road by a lake, a family's summer vacation dreams stolen by inconvenient combustion. I saw the edges of storm clouds above mountains stealing the last pink of daylight out of thin air. I saw a black bear, a coyote, a moose. But the whole time all I could think about is how the tire on the back of my motorcycle could spontaneously implode at any moment with it's inner construction bared to the asphalt below it. I rode from Revelstoke to Calgary with my mind fixated on moderating my speed (no easy task, thoroughbred motorcycles like to run fast) and listening for the shrapnel breaking free from the wheel with one foot ready to lock up the rear wheel brake and one eye on the side of the road looking for a soft landing spot. And so today's photo is of that which occupied so much of my day's thoughts.

No comments: