Wednesday, April 28, 2010

10-4-27


There are oddities that are rarely considered, partially because they are so obvious, partially because they are so nonsensical, partially because there's no reason to consider them. For instance, I will never see the back of my head. Never. Not that it matters. Still, in a world of observed experiences, which is all we really have, it's somehow disturbing that something that is so close to me, that is such an integral part of who I am can be so disjointed from me. Silly, I know, to even consider this but when we consider "cogito ergo sum" or "I think, therefore, I am" you start to look for the proof that you're thinking. You look for concreteness in anything, and though, independent thought, is hard to prove, as perhaps it's simply a sum of parts specific and without choice or thought affecting them. I can't prove that the back of my head exists, I've never seen it. I can't even prove that I'm thinking for the idea of thought may be misinformed. But then I see a stream of sunlight penetrating the deepest, darkest corner of my front hall. I might have thought it impossible that the sun could touch that part of the wall, especially with the curtains drawn, and yet there it was, convoluted enough that I thought to take a photo of it as confirmation.

It's little events like this, when noticed, that make it possible to believe there is such an entity as thought that can be compiled as proof of existence even if you can't see it. I mean, I do believe the back of my head exists. But with any proof there isn't validation, and perhaps that's the next step. Descartes proved in his own way that he exists and I'm prepared to believe that but now there needs to be purpose.

Edit: This.


No comments: