Sunday, June 1, 2014

14-6-1

Context. I'm not sure of the appeal to living in such things. They are there. They could be anywhere. They are barely where they are.

 But this is how you get there. Or leave there, which people are wont to do. It always confuses me how people pick where they live because of how easy it is for them to leave where they live, which happens far too often.

This is the ICBC salvage lot. It's always full of cars that have been destroyed by people escaping from where they live to somewhere they'd rather be. Why else do people drive? Oh, to go to work so they can afford to get away from where they live.

I didn't mean for this post to be so dark. I went for a bike ride today. It was amazing that I could ride 40kms in the city, mostly on bike paths and away from traffic, but you look around as you do so and you see so much. I like cities. I have a hard time understanding how all this stuff around the city can be a part of the city I live in. I don't get it. But it was nice to get out of the city for a bit, even if it was only about 8kms of country road on a flood plane next to the river, even if the only reason that flood plane still exists is because they haven't figured out how to build condos on it yet. I'm sure they will one day. And then I'll have to ride farther. I'm alright with that.

I get the irony in that bit, the end there. Me, talking about getting out of where I live to be somewhere that I don't. It's no like that. I believe the juxtaposition of both can be independent of either. It's the transitions that confuse me.

It was once explained to me that most people see the world as black and white when it is, indeed, grey. I get that, and I'm generally drawn to the the delicate balance, but the grey bits of the city are confounding.

1 comment:

nick said...

thank you your blog gives me such an inspiration to do a daily photo challenge, I come from Indonesia a beautiful country in southeast asia. come by, regards.