Tuesday, February 23, 2016

16-2-22

The iPhone 6S has a 12MP sensor. The Nikon D700 has a 12MP sensor. They are not the same cameras by any stretch of the imagination.

I took this photo with a goddamned cell phone. The minute size of the photo sensor sites gives it a muddiness making it more like a painting than a photograph, at least when you look at it at full resolution.

Small cameras are evil things.

Even my APS-C sensor sized camera is lackluster at times.

And it bothers me that so many cameras fight with blues when, well, the sky is blue. And in a lot of photographs.

My D700 is acting up. I need to clean the sensor more and more and the controls aren't super happy anymore. The rubber grips are held on with carpet tape. I bought mine when it was spanky new, was on the waiting list for it when it was announced way back in 2008. 8 years is a long time for anything electronic to last, and I've certainly used this camera a lot. Correction, I've abused this camera a lot. It's been thrown in bags next to bottles of wine, books, hammers, without a whole lot of protection. It's been dropped. It's been to the beach. It's been to Europe twice. It's been on thousands of kilometers of bike rides and thousands of kilometers of motorcycle trips.

It might be time for a new camera.

I'll keep using the D700 until I can't use the D700. It's still a better camera than an 8 year newer iPhone camera of the same resolution. It's better than a 1 year old, revered, APS-C Fuji camera, that I also own. But I can only claim that as long as the thing works.

And today I took a photo with a goddamned cell phone camera.

No comments: