Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Film, and other stories...

"I was never a fan of the 50mm focal length," said the man working behind the counter at Leo's Cameras. I was buying 10 rolls of film, a Peterson graduated cylinder and film chemistry and he obviously still shot film.. He had asked what I was "using." As someone buying film I was a rare kindred spirit in a rapidly changing world.

"Yeah, I don't like the 50mm focal length either. I'm not sure why it's considered such a 'standard' lens."

"I quite like 35mm."

"Me too," I responded. "I have a lovely Leica M3 but it has a 50mm lens on it and I rarely use it. But a 35mm lens on anything makes me happy."

So I'm still shooting film and, because I'm stubborn, I put a 50mm Super Takumar f/1.4 lens on the Pentax Spotmatic tonight. It's a highly revered and coveted lens, and I have two of them, but I rarely use them. I have a 28mm lens on the camera I've been shooting with most recently, and a 35mm on another Spotmatic that I used at the beginning of all this recent film nonsense. For the rest of this current roll of film, which is near its beginning, it will be the 50mm lens. Comfort zones. It's good to step outside of them. Maybe. I guess I'll know in a few days.

Speaking of lost arts, this article really grabbed me.

No comments: