Monday, October 19, 2020

20-10-18


 I haven't bought a new camera in quite some time, the odd dollar store and craigslist nonsense aside. There was a D750 body over 4 years ago. In the world of digital photography that thing is an antique. It's been back to Nikon at least once (twice?) for repair. And this camera, a Fujifilm X100s, was bought just over 7 years ago. It's also gone back for repair. The power button broke. 


I packaged it up and sent it off and a few weeks later and a few hundred dollars it was fixed. I got a kick out of the evaluated "condition" of the camera on the repair form. Some technician somewhere had declared my little Fuji was in "poor" condition. And it is. 


At 7 years old it's nearing the end of its useful lifespan. There won't be parts to repair it soon enough. And I've hated it for most of those seven years. It's a good size, the controls are where you would want them to be, the digital viewfinder was one of the earlier ones and it does a really good job of showing you what you're going to take a photograph of. 


It should be the perfect camera. 


But somehow we've never really gelled. I've carried it around a lot. I've taken some thousands of photographs with it. It's been really good, but I've never felt that really strong connection with it. Every time I take it with me I think, "well, this will be good enough, even if it's not great," a compromise made because it's so portable, light, and it fits in a hoodie pocket, or a small pocket on the front of my courier bag. 


I'll keep using it until it breaks. I might even get it fixed again, if that's still possible. 


It's the best camera I've never liked. I guess that's a good thing?

No comments: