Friday, July 24, 2009

09-7-24


"I would hardly call this living. It's more like dying slowly." - The Burning Hell.

That lyric shouldn't appear so morbidly depressing, it's actually from a song where the chorus rings, "Everything will probably be okay." I like the "probably" insertion, because you never really do know, but you mostly depend on it probably being okay.

But while we mostly strive for a better tomorrow we seem to make our most heartfelt celebrations of life in death. The sad poetry that evolves as we try to attribute meaning to the end of someone's life is gut wrenching. Think of Kurt Cobain. Think of every friend or relative you've lost prematurely to some disease or accident. I've explored this idea of sad beauty before here. The monument pictured above is old and weathered. I've ridden by it a dozen times or more. Each time it should remind me about living because everything will probably be okay. Right?

No comments: