Friday, January 29, 2010

10-1-28


New little camera. My delightful LX3 is no longer mine. It was a wonderful little device but for a "little" camera it was a little bit big and the lens cap bothered me. Those are dumb things to let bother me because, well, it was actually a pretty small camera and it took really great photographs. But still, the lens cap, it was a deal breaker in the end. I'd still recommend an LX3 for most people, it's a better camera than most. For me, my new Canon S90 is a beautiful thing. It's smaller than the LX3 and takes pretty amazing photographs. My biggest beef is the format. I really liked the 16X9 aspect ratio of the LX3. It just seemed so "right." The S90 shoots naturally in a 4X3 aspect ratio. It looks so foreign to me. I suppose I could crop but it's probably worth mentioning again that I do my best to not crop anything. It's probably a pretty good gues that 99% of what is on here is compositionally straight out of the camera. I work with the format I'm presented with in the camera. It seems more spiritual for me that way.

That being said, when I put the S90 into the case that used to cart my LX3 around and I felt it rattling around in its spacious confines I smiled a bit. It's so tiny. And it also take amazing photographs. It's just as good as the LX3 in low light. And no lens cap.

The picture? Huh. I'm not usually so distracted by the machines and more concerned about the results. A door bell vs. a security pad. And a grubbiness that betrays the age of both. I suppose that's all I need to say.

No comments: