Wednesday, July 20, 2016

16-7-18

The Nikon D750 is junk. It's too light, the shutter sounds plastic-y, it's small, you have to look into sub-menus to change the focus from continuous to single focus, the preview screen doesn't come with a protective cover and it's tilty which is code for "breakable" in my books. The command pad on the back is too small, the rectangular eye piece isn't as nice as the round one on the D700, and there's no shutter to close it off to do tripod exposures. It's a video camera, but I didn't buy a video camera. And the middle of the "focus mode" dial is also a button and it happens to sit right where my finger has also sat for 12 years of taking photographs with a Nikon, so I'm repeatedly changing focus modes when I don't want to.

But it takes better quality photos than the D700. And first and foremost, it's about better photographs, right?

But still...

I love/hate this new camera. Mostly love. But passionately hate. And I can't help but believe that with a firmware upgrade the D700 would be just as good, if my rear command dial hadn't quit working.

The other thing I have to remind myself is that the D750 cost 28% less than the D700, 8 years after the D700 came out. It's a cheaper camera.

So I'm complaining about a cheaper camera that takes better pictures.

No one has ever accused me of being smart. Well, almost no one.

No comments: