Thursday, November 9, 2017

17-11-9

It takes years to make such a tangled mess. It can be beautiful but the chaos of it all can be tiring after a while.

There's a bit in the documentary Sound City, which is about Dave Grohl buying the analogue mixing board from Studio City Studios where Nevermind was recorded, where Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic, and Paul McCartney record a song together on that same mixing board after it was reassembled in Dave's recording studio. There are very few times when the likes of Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic can get together and record where it's overshadowed by a guy who might not ever really understand who they are, and the only person I can think of who could be that guy is Paul McCartney.

They record the better part of a song and are working on finishing touches and there's this little bit of discussion that occurs as follows;

Dave Grohl: Why can't it always be this easy?

Paul McCartney: It is.

I saw this movie four years ago in the theater when it came out. I still haven't embraced that simple little lesson.

Easy is good.

Do easy.

Embrace easy.

Don't make it complicated.

I didn't see it when it was there, the easy. I made it hard. I made it complicated. And all that complicated stuff chokes itself to death.

I should be too old to be learning lessons like this still. But at least I'm learning.

Easy.

It is.

No comments: