Sunday, April 3, 2022

22-4-3



 I rewatched Withnail and I today. I probably haven't watched it in 20 years. It's better than I remembered though many would probably beg to differ. The BBC article points out "Another issue was the almost total absence of a plot." But when does life have an identifiable plot? 


I was taken with the final speech given by Richard E. Grant's Withnail. It's from Hamlet. I have a collection of all of Shakespeare's plays published in 1926 and I took it down from the shelf, probably for the first time since I moved into this house a decade ago, and found the passage. The pages are yellow. The book smells musty. And I read Hamlet. Not all of it, but some small part of it. 


Apparently the original ending was: 



Withnail gets having said his goodbyes to Marwood and drinks a shotgun full of Margeaux before blowing his brains out. Not surprisingly, this original ending was shelved for being too 'dark'.



That's all. Nothing more. 

No comments: