Saturday, March 6, 2010

10-3-3

In moments like this when I post some three days after the date of the post I have the benefit of hindsight. I already know that there will be no photo for tomorrow and for good reason, I spent the day with my daughter and even though I hauled a camera around with me all day the moments we spent together seemed more important than photographs of them. But on this day, the 3rd, like most days, there were any number of photographs I could have picked from. Like this one:
This is where I live. I was reminded of that quite succinctly today. It's not so bad, really.
Good enough that I took more than one picture of it. More than two, truth be told. East Van. When I first saw this monument I was offended even though East Van has nothing to do with who I am. I first thought of Dog Town. I thought it cheesy that a monument to the east side of Vancouver would co-opt the symbolism of a 70's band of skate kids. Turns out that it's a symbol worn on the jackets of gangs in Vancouver who were around in the 50's or 60's but certainly before a bunch of punks like Stacey Peralta had busted onto the scene of skateboarding.
But this is more the type of image that I would have gone with, dust and all, to mimic an old photograph.
Or this which so defines what Vancouver is to me.

But this last one would have been "the one" had I only gone with one photograph for the day. It's closer to what I'm feeling these days. But since I know already that there will be no photograph for tomorrow I can pre-make it up today with extra photos. Is that fair? Who cares. It's my blog.

No comments: