Saturday, March 21, 2015

15-3-21

20mm is a pretty wide lens. I had a 14-24mm Nikkor lens for a while, and I still have a 24mm lens that's fantastic but I don't use it very often. The 20mm is a pretty wide lens. Pretty wide.

I had forgotten that with the 14-24 you had to be careful about collapsing perspective, buildings looking like they are falling in on themselves, or rooms looking, well, just odd. But it lets you stand across the street from monumental buildings of magnificent scale, or, about a block long-ish, and swallow the whole thing in with that big, wide, 20mm lens.

It gives you lots of room to fix the photos on the computer. Some of the magnificence is lost, and the slightly unnatural perspective sneaks in when you stare, the verticals are parallel, but unnaturally so, the buildings can start to look like they get wider at the top. It's not too bad when the buildings are only 4 stories tall but if you look at it too long it comes across as slightly off. Both are slightly off, I guess. I don't know which I like more. Or less.

No comments: