Tuesday, March 31, 2015

15-3-30

There are 5kms between where I live and where I work. It's the same 5kms. A hill, a bike route, a bridge, some other stuff. I walked today. This is the same photograph I've taken a dozen times before, but today it was off the other side of the bridge because I was walking.

I was challenged with taking 500 photos in my back yard once. I feel like I've taken 5000 photos in this 5km stretch of Vancouver. After the first year of taking a photo a day I took about 8 months off. I think I've taken a week or two off since then, but I don't remember. I've certainly missed days, some by accident, some on purpose. You try to mix it up with a road trip or some other distraction like film coming out of a 40 year old medium format camera.

You look for things to be different but they more often than not end up being the same.

Little metal ribbons connecting one coast to the other, just like Buster Keaton taught us in that grade school film we'd get to watch when it was too rainy to play outside or if we had a substitute teacher. When I see these tracks it's as close as I get to connecting to the horizon some days. Maybe that's why I take pictures of them over and over again.

But where are the trains?

No comments: