Monday, January 25, 2016

16-1-24


I found this bike in the trash. And it probably is trash. That handlebar is titanium and sold for $129 new. The shifters are XT thumbies, I think, sold for $149 new. They still fetch over $75 on eBay. And the Ritchey Logic brake levers were coveted items in the day too. They are all attached to a Kona steel mountain bike frame that was quite respected in the day. There are a couple of period XT derailleurs on the bike adding to its lineage. Trash.

I pulled a Jorg and Olif frame out of the garbage too. The one on the right with two top tubes. Starting at $900 complete, mine was just a frame, fork, headset, bar and stem. I held on to it for a couple of months thinking I would make it a beautiful bike again but, well, who has the time?

I have a plane for the thumb shifter and rear derailleur. Only one of the shifters though. It's going to happen after I finish converting the garage into an effective work shop. So..... 2019. Maybe. And I only pick that year because I'm "optimistic" that it will happen this decade.

That shitty house in the first photo, if it includes the vacant lot next to it, is probably worth about $3million. I mean, this house:



half of a duplex, located 2 blocks away from the house above, is selling for just over a million.

And this cute little place:


...all three majestic bedrooms of it, a block away on a single lot, is a bargain at $2.3million. 

But at least they weren't in the trash. 

No comments: