Monday, November 23, 2015

15-11-21

JFK.

In 2000, Laurent Malone and Dennis Adams put together a collection of photographs documenting their walk from Manhattan to JFK Airport in 1997. They shared one film camera (it was 1997 after all) and they took turns taking photographs, either one being able to take a photograph at any time. The catch/gimmick/beauty of this walk was that each time one took a photo the other had to take a photo in the opposite direction. They placed all the photos on opposing pages. I've been trying to find this book for 7 or 8 years.

There was a book store in Toronto that claimed to have a copy but they couldn't find it to sell it to me. I've tried to find it in various art book stores in various cities. I finally found a copy available on the wonderful world wide web and though I've paid for it, it will still take a month and a half to arrive, but that's not much time after looking for nearly a decade.

I've been intrigued by the idea for a long time and though I didn't have someone to walk with me to the airport, I finally found a day when I could take a camera with me and spend the day walking from where I live to where I would leave where I live, YVR.

It's 15kms. It took about 4 hours; I wasn't in a hurry. I will have to do it again with someone to hand the camera off to, to look in the other direction, to make me look in the other direction.

Regardless, it was a lovely way to spend a morning.

YVR.

No comments: