Tuesday, December 30, 2008

08-12-28


I haven't taken a photograph like this in a long time. It seemed to suite Calgary when I lived there as it was such a flat place and the man made landscape seemed to rise in futility against the expansiveness of the prairie sky. In Vancouver the natural landscape itself does the dwarfing so it's rare to find visual opportunities where the man made seems lost in an expansiveness of space. There is no expansive space in this city. Strangely enough, though it's not a densely developed city, Vancouver makes many newcomers feel claustrophobic. It's true, there are few directions for one to go in. It's like a crowded room with only one door out and that door is always on the far side of the room.

It's been unusually cold in Vancouver with a substantial amount of snow on the ground these days which makes it feel a lot like Calgary did in the winter and so I've taken a photograph like the ones I've taken that I associate with Calgary.

No comments: